Study materials may be purchased from Washington State University (WSU) Extension Publishing and Printing Office at 800-723-1763, 509-335-2857 or by contacting your local Extension office.

For exam requirement assistance and current fees: call the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) toll free at 877-301-4555 or WSU at 509-335-2830.

Materials / Fees

Publication TitleMaterial NumberPriceExam TypeLicense Fees as of January 1, 2009
Private ApplicatorMISC0126$16.50Private Applicator$33
Limited Private ApplicatorMISC0547EFree Online OnlyLimited Private App$33 per 5 years
Rancher Private ApplicatorMISC0547EFree Online OnlyRancher Private App$100 per 5 years
Spanish Private ApplicatorMISC0126S$16.50Public Operator$33
Laws and Safety/DealerMISC0056$13.50Public Consultant$33
Turf and Ornamental WeedMISC0170$11.50Private Commercial App$33
Spanish Laws and WeedsMISC0492S$20Dealer Manager$33
Agricultural WeedMISC0167$11.50Structural Pest Inspector$60
Rights-of-Way WeedMISC0185$11.50Commercial Applicator$215
Insect and Disease ControlMISC0175$11.50Commercial Operator$67
Aquatic Pest ControlMISC0134$9Commercial Consultant$60
Public Health Pest ControlMISC0151$9n/an/a
Structural Pest InspectorMISC0562$32n/an/a
Pest Management Pro (PCO)MISC0096$19n/an/a


WSU Extension Douglas County and WSDA are offering tests for private applicators at the Extension Office in Waterville. Test are unscheduled, and offered Monday through Friday with testing starting at 8:30 am and again at 1:30 pm In addition to the License Fee there is an unscheduled exam fee of $10. Payment should be made by check or money order made payable to WSDA. The use of a calculator is allowed during the exam.

Individuals wishing to take the test are asked to contact the Extension Office ahead of time to ensure a proctor is available. WSU Douglas County Extension can be reached at 509-745-8531.

Limited Private, Rancher Private and Private Applicator are the only tests administered at WSU Douglas County Extension office. 

Limited Private Applicator

This license allows the holder to supervise and apply restricted use herbicides on non-production agricultural land that includes pastures, rangeland, fence rows and areas around farm buildings for weed control only.

Rancher Private Applicator

This license allows the use and supervision of restricted use herbicides and rodenticides on non-production agricultural land, and on production agriculture land where grain and hay are grown for personal use. (Up to 10% may be sold and only within the county of production.

Private Applicator

This license is for use of all restricted use Pesticides for agriculture purposes of all kind.